Sausage, cabbage and beets hash
This is another one of those hearty hash, one pot dishes that can be made a variety of ways, depending on what is on hand. I have made many variations of this and recently discovered that adding the Pecorino persuaded my kids to like it. The combination of seasonings can be changed but this is a good one to start. I use pastured ground pork that is unseasoned which allows me to season to my personal taste. Seasoned pork sausage or any natural sausage can be substituted.This dish is a great way to get beets into the diet.
- .5 head Head of cabbage Green or red, medium
- root Whole Beet large
- 1 root Carrot medium
- 4 cloves Chopped garlic
- 1 bulb Purple onion medium
- 1 lb Pastured pork sausage unseasoned
- 1 cup Grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 t Coriander
- 1 t Ground sage
- 1 t Summer savory or thyme
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 T Avocado oil Or other natural heat safe oil
- .5 juice of 1/2 lime
- Grate all root vegetables and cabbage. Chop onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in large pot or skillet. Add sausage and spices, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until just done and remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute garlic and onions in the fat left behind from cooking the sausage. Once translucent or slightly browned, remove from pan and set aside with sausage.
- Using any fat left in pan (you can always add more to taste), stir in the root vegetables first, allow to cook for about 3 minutes then add shredded cabbage.
- Continue to cook vegetables for about 4-5 more minutes or until desired firmness.
- Return the sausage, garlic, and onions to the pan of cooked vegetables and add lime juice and shredded cheese (optional) over all ingredients and mix.Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a main course or side dish. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Ground beef can be substituted for pork. Keep the seasonings the same and it will be very similar. A slight crunchiness of the vegetables is often desirable and makes a nice contrast with the meat. Recipe ratios of vegetables to meat can easily be adjusted.